Wednesday, September 13, 2006

More thoughts on MNTV

I've been thinking a lot about why there is no community forum on their website. I don't think its an oversight. My only assumption at this point is that perhaps they want to wait a little while till more people are "hooked" and the discussions online will be more positive. Is that cynical? Maybe they were afraid that the first week too many people would dis the show. I'm not sure. Then again Fox Community puts a page for a new show as soon as (or actually before) it airs.

But MNTV shows are sort of risky. I think they could have invested a bit more into the first week . . . but then again, there was little buzz or news about the premiere week. I still feel like I'm backing the wrong horse. And yet I still really believe that this network is a brilliant concept. I think in a few months (maybe with the next cycle) when it really catches on people are going to write articles that say "no one saw this coming". Ha! I did. But the thing is, it's never going to have HUGE ratings. It will never be one of the top shares of the night. But, it will eventually do consistently well, far better than UPN ever averaged. Towards the end of the 13 week runs there may even be some peaks.

So now I feel I should weigh in a bit about the content. Well, I've already given up watching Desire. I mean, I'm interested in the commercials a bit, and if I'm around I could watch it -- maybe on Saturdays. But I already feel somewhat committed to Fashion House. By committed I mean if I'm home I'll most likely be watching. But I won't tape it (not yet anyhow). But since my new all-in-one TV/VCR combo won't let me watch one thing and tape another, it's very possible that I will be choosing another show to watch at 9pm. BTW, it's a good thing I like FH better than Desire, because the 9pm slot is better for me all around. I'm often not home till around 9 anyhow. And Survivor will ABSOLUTELY win my eyes or my VCR on Thursdays at 8. So far that's the only given competition. I don't know what's going to happen with the O.C. -- but that's not till November anyhow. There may be one or two of the new crop that sticks. I'm interested in 30 Rock/ Studio 60 and maybe the one with Ally McBeal (Sisters?) . . .
Oh, so getting back to the content: Not great, but not bad. Cheesy as to be expected. I think what annoys me the most is the extensive use of flashbacks to make sure the audience "gets it" in case they missed an episode or two. It's sort of insulting. I've followed daytime on and off for years now and it's just a given that sometimes you'll miss episodes but eventually you can catch up. You don't need extended flashback scenes next to every other line of dialogue to get what's going on. I'm hoping this is a temporary style since they're so new, etc. It's annoying (especially if you did watch the episode they're flashing back to). It seems like the plot is moving faster on Desire. But the problem with that show is there are not enough characters and differing storylines (and the main underlying storylines are way cheesy -- first of all, I don't buy that the mob dude is that obsessed with revenge because his daughter had sex. Yes, she lied and called it rape, but he was ready to kill the kid before he knew that. Like she hasn't had sex before. Weak. Further, the whole both brothers in love with the same girl thing is lame. who cares. but then again, that's why I stopped watching). So on FH the plot feels dragged out a bit. And I'm sick of the shots with just Morgan Fairchild's lips. Fine once, but I think they've done it at least 3, maybe 4 times. We know who she is, just show her already. Annoying.

Well, that's about all I feel like babbling about the content right now. Like I said, it's okay, but it's not great. But I'm still watching and I guess that's all that matters.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home