Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Is Rupert a Genius?

I thought so, but now I'm not quite sure . . .

I have been anticipating this My Network TV thing (or MyTV as I first came to know of it) for a while now. For those of you that are out of the loop (and shockingly I'm beginning to realize that that is almost everyone -- I cannot believe how many conversations I've had with people over the last couple of days, many of whom are media/communication academics, who didn't know what I was talking about when I mentioned MNTV), here's the basics:
Back in January the big announcement was that the WB and the UPN would merge and become one network, the CW. Neither network ever really took off but each had a few solid shows, and for the most part they had similar demographics (young) -- so it makes sense. Put the 2 networks together and you have a fairly decent line-up of shows. But, that means that in every market there will be two stations and only one will be "lucky" enough to continue as the CW. (For those that don't know this, there is a difference between the local affiliate, i.e. the channel with the call letters starting with W or K and the parent network). So these stations all over the country start freaking out -- what's going to happen with them??? Will they go completely independent, shut down, or what? Right away certain markets know which station, the UPN or the WB one is going to "win" the CW (mostly it's the WB one). Then, about a week or two later comes the new announcement: Rupert Murdoch is going to start a new network, called MyTV, later to be referred to with the name Network inserted. (At first I thought it was an odd name for a network, but you'll note he bought MySpace about 6 or so months before). The kooky thing was that his idea for this network is that it would show English language telenovelas. Well, they quickly tried to spin the language differently--but the word telenovela stuck. The idea: 2 dramas during prime time, each 5 days a week with a recap show on Saturdays with 13 week runs for a story. In all, 52 weeks a year of new programming, but with bits of closure along the way. Sort of a cross between daytime soaps and constant mini-series . . .

Yesterday was the day it finally all began.

Why do I think he's a genius? This is a long complicated answer. I feel like I'm betting on the underdog here (and BTW, in case it's not obvious, I'm deeply disturbed by the fact that I am backing his horse so to speak when I am completely not kosher with his politics. but that's another entry; one I'm sure I'll never bother to write). For one thing, I'm obsessed with all of the changes that are happening with the ways that people consume media. I think it's hysterical following the business model free for all in B&C (Broadcasting and Cable) because nobody is quite sure how they are going to make money in the future, what with TiVo, Netflix, iPods, YouTube and content on demand. I'm equally fascinated by the blurring of the lines between media and consumer culture (the original point of this blog). But I also know that the spectrum is far too valuable for those that have licenses to it to give it up. So with the future heading towards all entertainment programming being essentially on-demand in one form or another, it leaves the question, what will happen with terrestrial broadcasting. Radio is sort of leading the way here and providing examples. With digital music and satellite and internet radio, old-fashioned spectrum based radio playing music is naturally dying. But talk radio is a different beast. I could babble on here for pages (maybe even a dissertation one day), but the point is, television that is linear, i.e. broadcast, is going to continue to move towards news, sports, reality and other content that needs to be watched live. My point? Soaps can be taped or TiVoed for a day or maybe even a week, but not much more than that. We've all heard the rumor about the Mexican (or was it some other Latin American country) politician who wouldn't schedule meetings on certain evenings because he had to get home to watch his show.

So I babble. I've always had more than a soft spot for soaps. I know what an addiction feels like. And lately I've come to understand, at least a little bit, the importance of feeling connected to a community via a share interest, i.e. a show, especially via Forums. I'm not quite of the generation to partake in MySpace, etc., etc. . . . but I'm interested . . .

I could go on and on. I think I've clearly hinted at why I think Rupert might be a genius with starting MNTV. But now I want to get to the real reason why I am starting to have my doubts. It's not about the quality of the shows. Yes, now that I've seen two nights of shows I can admit that I have my concerns . . . But I'm not going to discuss content here. After all, it's only been 2 nights. I think I'll have to wait a week . . . My real issue? THE MY NETWORK TV WEBSITE DOES NOT HAVE A FORUM/COMMUNITY SECTION! What's up with that????? That is the KEY to making My Network TV a Brilliant venture (or at least I think). But who am I to say. I can only assume that this wasn't an oversight but a conscientious decision. They had months to think about it.

So I post here. Because I really wanted to check out the MNTV forum, but I couldn't. BECUASE IT DOESN'T EXIST.

And BTW, I know Katie debuted this week (and I do think that's cool. I've actually been watching her). But still, there's been essentially NO news coverage of the start up of MNTV. Again, I feel I'm "backing" the underdog here. Am I the only one out there who thinks this is big?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home